Sharing lessons from urban health programmes
Working with Guy’s and St Thomas’ Charity to explore the effects of childhood obesity, air pollution and multiple long-term conditions on people in urban areas.
Guy’s and St Thomas’ Charity is an independent, urban health foundation which works to improve health in the London boroughs of Lambeth and Southwark.
The charity has a portfolio of ten-year programmes, currently focusing on three urban health issues: reducing childhood obesity, the health effects of air pollution and slowing the rate of progression from one to many long-term conditions.
Over the next decade, the charity plans to invest around £150 million in projects across these programmes.
Kaleidoscope is contracted to work on the programme for two years. As a learning partner, Kaleidoscope will capture, collate and interpret information from all three programmes and draw essential insights.
We will communicate those findings in a way that is meaningful and can be acted on. This work will feed into the strategic and operational direction of the programme to ensure it has the greatest impact. It will also inform work to influence wider local and national policy.
The work that Kaleidoscope is delivering includes:
- developing a learning plan to systematically capture insights from reports and staff/partners
- a visualisation of what the programmes are working towards: producing a mock-up of a 10-year impact report to identify the types of evidence required
- working with the evaluation partner to ensure a rigorous system for capturing insights
- co-designing and developing a repository for lessons and insights to enable easy storage, access and sharing over time
- co-developing internal processes to share insights and inform strategic and operational developments
- learning and impact reports to capture and share key insights and learning to date
- engagement events to connect local stakeholders, gather and share learning.
Speaking about the project, Jackie Harrison, Head of Impact and Evaluation at Guy’s and St Thomas’ Charity said:
Guy’s and St Thomas’ Charity is an impact-led organisation: we want to improve the lives of people living in urban areas. Evaluation and learning is a vital part of maximising the impact we can achieve. We are pleased to be working with Kaleidoscope who are delivering a rigorous, innovative and impactful approach to learning across our complex urban health programmes.